Tuesday, July 20, 2010

summer salads



I love it! When I'm thinking of summer salads and then I pull out one of my favorites and it is so easily adapted! The majority of the recipe is GFree! Plus I've added and changed a few things from the original printing in a "church cookbook" so now I'll call it Mine!

Tokyo Turkey Toss

2 1/2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken (the canned stuff is pretty good too!)
1 lb. can bean sprouts, drained or 2 cups fresh sprouts, washed
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 cup cooked rice: brown or white
1 cup diced celery
2 tbsp. green or red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 cup peapods, cut in 1 inch pieces

(Vegetarian substitution: eliminate the turkey, add 1 can cannellini beans, drained)

Mix well and chill.

Dressing:
1/4 cup Kraft creamy French dressing
2 tsp soy sauce (Use LaChoy's or wheat free tamari)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 T. sesame oil
1 T. fresh grated ginger
Mix well and chill.

Just before serving, add dressing and toss to mix.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted.

Makes a wonderful lunch or addition to a picnic!

No comments:

Post a Comment